Friday, July 10, 2009

A Change in Scenery

The majority of my summer internship has kept me in the computer lab of the Design School at Penn. I can't complain because I get to be in an air-conditioned lab, researching, and being around some the next generation of great planner. This past week took me back to a place I got to know very well during second semester, the Urban Archives at Temple University. I spent the spring researching the Crosstown Expressway for a research seminar course. While I wasn't going back to work on the Crosstown, expressways were still my focus. The main difference was I was looking-up information on an expressway which was built, the Delaware Expressway (I-95).

The goal of the trip was to search the newspaper clippings to find personal stories which could be mapped. I was amazed to see how long the controversy over the expressway lasted. Thinking about the Delaware provided me with the chance to think about highways in a different light. The Crosstown, which was never realized, united a broad community and they were successful in showing what the human impact of an expressway would be. On the other-hand, I-95, which was built, has become an integral part of current-day Philadelphia transportation network. Is there ever a morning where you don't hear about congestion or an accident during rush-hour? I didn't think so.

I am constantly torn over how I think about highways. In our modern society they are a necessary evil. Imagine thousands of cars traveling through the streets of Philadelphia had it not been for the highways. In one of my earlier posts, I stated how I believed in the human-scale and taking into account what the personal impact of projects can be. Highways are projects which can have one of the greatest effects on a community, but I just can't find a way to reconcile highways. With our ever-growing dependency on the personal auto, highways are needed. If only we could find ways to make them less intrusive. This might not be possible but one can only hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment